Moore

Moore is a city in Cleveland County, Oklahoma, United States, and is part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. The population was 55,081 at the 2010 census,ill making it the seventh largest city in the state of Oklahoma.

Located between Oklahoma City and Norman, the city has been the site of several devastating tornadoes, with those occurring in 1999 and 2013 receiving national attention.

The Moore post office was established May 27, 1889, during the Land Run of 1889 and was named for Al Moore, an Atchison. To­peka and Santa Fe Railway employee. According to the town history he was a “conductor or a brakeman, lived in a boxcar at the camp and had difficulty receiving his mail. He painted his name -“Moore” -on a board and nailed it on the boxcar. When a post­master was appointed, he continued to call the settlement Moore. When the town incorporated in 1893 the name was legalized.

The city’s history notes that the community before the post office may have been called “Verbeck” by the railroad.ill However, oth­er histories indicate that Verbeck was actually the original name of the nearby telegraph station “Oklahoma” which became the
basis for the founding of Oklahoma City.ill

The community remained small until 1961, when it annexed 21.6 square miles (56 km2). becoming a full-fledged city in 1962, which in turn increased its population from 1,221 in 1960 to 18, 761 in 1970 and 55,081 in 2010.lli Moore’s 1961 annexation kept it an independent city at a time when Oklahoma City through annexations increased its size from 25 square miles (65 km2) to 643 square miles (1,670 km2) surrounding Moore on three sides (north. east, west). Norman forms its southern border.

 

                                                             

 

Moore

Moore is a city in Cleveland County, Oklahoma, United States, and is part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. The population was 55,081 at the 2010 census,ill making it the seventh largest city in the state of Oklahoma.

Located between Oklahoma City and Norman, the city has been the site of several devastating tornadoes, with those occurring in 1999 and 2013 receiving national attention.

The Moore post office was established May 27, 1889, during the Land Run of 1889 and was named for Al Moore, an Atchison. To­peka and Santa Fe Railway employee. According to the town history he was a “conductor or a brakeman, lived in a boxcar at the camp and had difficulty receiving his mail. He painted his name -“Moore” -on a board and nailed it on the boxcar. When a post­master was appointed, he continued to call the settlement Moore. When the town incorporated in 1893 the name was legalized.

The city’s history notes that the community before the post office may have been called “Verbeck” by the railroad.ill However, oth­er histories indicate that Verbeck was actually the original name of the nearby telegraph station “Oklahoma” which became the
basis for the founding of Oklahoma City.ill

The community remained small until 1961, when it annexed 21.6 square miles (56 km2). becoming a full-fledged city in 1962, which in turn increased its population from 1,221 in 1960 to 18, 761 in 1970 and 55,081 in 2010.lli Moore’s 1961 annexation kept it an independent city at a time when Oklahoma City through annexations increased its size from 25 square miles (65 km2) to 643 square miles (1,670 km2) surrounding Moore on three sides (north. east, west). Norman forms its southern border.

 

                                                             

 

Moore

Moore is a city in Cleveland County, Oklahoma, United States,!? and is part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. The popula­tion was 55,081 at the 2010 census,ill making it the seventh largest city in the state of Oklahoma.

Located between Oklahoma City and Norman, the city has been the site of several devastating tornadoes, with those occurring in 1999 and 2013 receiving national attention.

The Moore post office was established May 27, 1889, during the Land Run of 1889 and was named for Al Moore, an Atchison. To­peka and Santa Fe Railway employee. According to the town history he was a “conductor or a brakeman, lived in a boxcar at the camp and had difficulty receiving his mail. He painted his name -“Moore” -on a board and nailed it on the boxcar. When a post­master was appointed, he continued to call the settlement Moore. When the town incorporated in 1893 the name was legal­ized. “!Zl.[fil

The city’s history notes that the community before the post office may have been called “Verbeck” by the railroad.ill However, oth­er histories indicate that Verbeck was actually the original name of the nearby telegraph station “Oklahoma” which became the
basis for the founding of Oklahoma City.ill

The community remained small until 1961, when it annexed 21.6 square miles (56 km2). becoming a full-fledged city in 1962, which in turn increased its population from 1,221 in 1960 to 18, 761 in 1970 and 55,081 in 2010.lli Moore’s 1961 annexation kept it an independent city at a time when Oklahoma City through annexations increased its size from 25 square miles (65 km2) to 643 square miles (1,670 km2) surrounding Moore on three sides (north. east, west). Norman forms its southern border.

Piedmont

Piedmont is a city primarily in Canadian County, Oklahoma, though a small part of it is in Kingfisher County. It is a part of the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Area. The population was 5,720 at the 2010 census, a 56.7 percent increase from 3,650 at the 2000 census.1fil Piedmont is a home rule city served by a council-manager government city of Piedmont was founded on land claimed during the Unassigned Land Run of April 22, 1889. The town was founded in 1903 by Dr. E. H. Long.ill

Piedmont’s success was spurred by the now-defunct St. Louis, El Reno and Western Railway that extended a line from Guthrie to I) Reno, which allowed it to become an agricultural market center. However, the railroad ceased to operate in 1924.ill

Piedmont remained a small but stable rural community for the first half of the 20th century. Starting in the 1950s, the town be­ came an increasingly popular bedroom community for those working in nearby Oklahoma City. Development of the “Northwest Expressway” (Oklahoma State Highway 3) resulted in population growth of 124%

Yukon

Yukon was founded by A.N. Spencer in 1891,ill and was named for the Yukon River in Alaska.

Spencer, a cattleman from Texas turned railroad builder, was working on a line from El Reno to Arkansas when he decided to build the town.El Spencer filed the plat on the townsite on February 14, 1891.El He had agreed to do so and lay the train tracks through the town in exchange for half of the lots, which were owned by Minnie Taylor and Luther S. Morrison.ill Taylor and Morrison had acquired the land in the 1889 land run.ill Spencer also bought two quarter sections south of Main Street from Joseph Carson and his sister, Josephine.El Spencer and his brother, Lewis, named the town after the Yukon Territory of Canada, where a gold rush was booming at the time.

The first houses and businesses were located on the north side of Spencer Avenue (now Main Street) and present Fourth and Fifth streets.El The Canadian County Courier reported on April 1, 1891, that the city had 25 homes, one bank, two real estate offices, two restaurants, a lumber yard, a hardware store, a grocery, a livery stable, two saloons, a blacksmith shop, a printing office, a barber shop, and a second barber shop “about completed.”El

The Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway Company laid its track, causing the abandonment of Frisco, which had a population of 1,000 at the time.ill Beginning in about 1898, Yukon began to attract immigrants from Bohemia. Following World War I and the dissolution of Bohemia into Czechoslovakia and Moravia, the immigrants became known as “Czechs. “ill Yukon is known as the “Czech Capital of Oklahoma”.ill The town voted to incorporate in 1901J.fil and voted to add water works, sewer, and electricity from the mill in 1910.El Businesses remained clustered on Main Street between Fourth and Fifth, until the 1920s, when they began to locate in other parts of the town.El The interurban was built from Oklahoma City to El Reno in 1911.El It closed in 1940.El Paved roads didn’t arrive until the construction of State Highway 66 in 1926.El

Yukon thrived as the urban center for area farmers and had an organized library by 1905 and a dedicated library building in 1927.ill A small milling operation, the Yukon Mill and Grain Company, opened in 1893 and grew to shipping flour and feeds throughout the south and exporting them overseas by 1915.El The milling operation was owned by the Kroutil and Dobry families, but the Dobry family built their own mill and parted ways with the Kroutils in the 1930s.El The mills were sold to larger corporations; Shawnee Mills purchased the Yukon Mill and Grain Company and Mid-Continent purchased the Dobry Mills.ill Paying homage to that history, the students of Yukon High School are known as “Millers”, and their mascot is “The Miller Man”.

Arcadia

Arcadia is a town in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, United States, and a part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. Arcadia was established soon after the Land Rush of 1889 and drew both white and African American cotton farmers, who named the land after the Greek town of Arcadia. A post office was established in 1890. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad construct­ed a line in 1902-3 from Bartlesville to Oklahoma City, passing immediately south of Arcadia.ill According to the United States Cen­sus Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), all of it land.

Arcadia

Arcadia is a town in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, United States, and a part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. Arcadia was established soon after the Land Rush of 1889 and drew both white and African American cotton farmers, who named the land after the Greek town of Arcadia. A post office was established in 1890. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad construct­ed a line in 1902-3 from Bartlesville to Oklahoma City, passing immediately south of Arcadia.ill According to the United States Cen­sus Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), all of it land.

Oklahoma City

Oklahoma City was first settled on April 22, 1889, when the area known as the “unassigned lands” (that is, land in Indian territory that had not been assigned to any tribes) was opened for settlement in an event known as “The Land Run”.w Some 10,000 home­steaders settled the area now known as Oklahoma City; the population doubled between 1890 and 1900.w

By the time Oklahoma was admitted to the Union in 1907, Oklahoma City had supplanted Guthrie, the territorial capital, as the pop­ulation center and commercial hub of the new state. Early city leaders John Shartel, Anton Classen, James W. Maney and Henry Overholser helped grow the city,ill which developed an efficient trolley system, a major regional commercial center, a railway hub and had attracted several large meat packing plants along with other industry. The city, now with a population of 64,000, put in a petition to become the new state capital. A popular vote was held, with Governor Charles N. Haskell as one of the strongest advo­cates for Oklahoma City’s candidacy, which Oklahoma City won. The Oklahoma State Capitol was established at N.E. 23rd Street and Lincoln Boulevard.ill The capitol lacked a dome after its initial construction; it could not be added by the time the building was com­pleted in 1919 due to lack of funds. A dome was finally added to the building in 2002

Edmond

Edmond is a city in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, United States, and a part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area in the central part of the state. As of the 2010 census, the population was 81,405, making it the sixth largest city in the state of Oklahoma.

The city limits are located on the northern border of Oklahoma City. Two major highways connect Edmond to downtown Oklaho­ma City: U.S. Route 77 (the Broadway Extension), which runs through the center of Edmond, and Interstate 35, which runs along the eastern side. Public transportation is provided by Citylink Edmond bus service.

In 2011, Edmond was #1 on CNBC’s “10 Perfect Suburbs” list:W. Edmond was listed as one of the “Top 100 Places to Live in 2007” by Relocate America. Edmond was selected the most outstanding community in its class for five years in a row by the State Chamber of Commerce and State Industrial Development Department.